Equality and Diversity
We are actively monitoring and improving our diverse workforce
The Trust has completed three years of the adopted Equality Delivery System designed to support NHS commissioners and providers to deliver better outcomes for patients and communities and better working environments for staff, which are personal, fair and diverse.
The grading is carried out by our staff and staff side on “EDS Objective 3 – Empowered, Engaged and Included Staff”. There are a total of 35 focuses to be considered and graded.
The Disability Symbol
SCAS has for the fifth year running achieved the disability symbol awarded by Jobcentre Plus to employers who show their commitment to employing disabled people. It demonstrates to disabled people which employers will be positive about their abilities.
In achieving the disability symbol status SCAS has demonstrated that it will:
- interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and consider them on their abilities
- ensure that there is a mechanism in place to discuss, at any time but at least once a year, with disabled employees, what both parties can do to make sure disabled employees can develop and use their abilities
- make every effort when employees become disabled to make sure they stay in employment
- take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate levels of disability awareness needed to make sure these commitments work
- review these commitments each year and assess what has been achieved, plan ways to improve on them and let employees and JobCentre Plus know about the progress and future plans.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Network (LGBT)
SCAS has supported the establishment of the LGBT Network. The SCAS LGBT network comes together to celebrate the culture and contributions of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender people within SCAS. The network is open to all SCAS staff, volunteers or contractors regardless of sexuality and provides additional focus and resource to celebrate and promote equality and diversity, works to eliminate discrimination experienced by LGBT staff and supports staff with LGBT issues.
Equality & Diversity Steering Group
The purpose of the Equality & Diversity Steering Group is to provide support, advice, assurance and governance for the Trust Board to ensure the organisation is committed to:
- Developing a culture of promoting Equality and Diversity and eliminating discrimination.
- Meeting its duties and responsibilities under Equality, Diversity & Human Rights legislation and codes of practice, including NHS and the Department of Health standards
- Promoting, recognising and valuing the diverse nature of communities and staff groups within South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust.
NHS Staff Survey
Our latest results are that 76% of staff confirmed in the annual staff survey that they had received equality and diversity training. This results means that SCAS is above the national average when compared to all ambulance trusts.
The Equality Delivery System (Objectives)
The Equality Delivery System 2 (EDS) outlines to staff and the public how the South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust intends to demonstrate its commitment to being an organisation that embraces equality and human rights and its stand against discrimination of any kind. This will embrace actions to eliminate discrimination on the grounds of age, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, gender, ethnicity, marriage and civil partnership, disability and pregnancy and maternity.
- Equality and Diversity workforce report 2014-2015 – 4th Quarter – Recruitment Activity
- Equality and Diversity workforce report 2014-2015 – 4th Quarter – Workforce Data
- Equality and Diversity workforce report 2014-2015
- Equality and Diversity workforce report-2013-2014
Public Sector Equality Duty Report
- Public sector equality duty report 2017 – 2018
- Public sector equality duty report 2016 – 2017
- Public sector equality duty report 2015 – 2016
- Public sector equality duty report 2014 – 2015
Public Board workforcerace equality standard
Workforce Action Plans
- Workforce race equality standard indicator action plan 2018 – 2019
- Workforce race equality standard indicator action plan 2016 – 2017