Chief Operating Officer
I joined South Central Ambulance Service in March 2016 to lead the major operations of the organisation. This includes responsibility for the 999 service and the 111 service as well as their enablers.
My role is to ensure that the Trust meets its core non-clinical operational objectives, complying with statutory and legal requirements, without sacrificing clinical standards, patient care and financial imperatives.
In addition, I am Managing Director of South Central Fleet Services Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of SCAS.
My core responsibilities include:
- the effective and efficient delivery of all operational services, and some non-clinical support services with particular emphasis on performance management, financial and contractual requirements;
- effective engagement across all operational service delivery functions to ensure there are robust processes in place to agree and meet financial and activity targets for the current year and in outline for future years;
- leading on operational efficiencies and cost improvement work programmes, thereby raising standards of practice, productivity and value for money;
- leading on transformational change across organisational boundaries to enable the effective delivery of strategy, through the delivery of specific service improvement programmes;
- leading on business continuity management including emergency planning.
Prior to joining SCAS I had a very successful first career in the British Army where, amongst other roles, I led one of the Army’s finest Regiment’s on operations overseas and was the lead strategist and planner for all operations in Afghanistan. My final role was Chief Operating Officer of the Army Training and Recruiting Agency.
Since retiring from the Army I have held a number of senior operational and leadership roles in both the public and private sectors. These have included Director’s roles in Border Force, on the London 2012 Olympics, as Chief Operating Officer of Her Majesty’s Passport Office and, most recently, Vice President of Menzies Aviation plc.